Thursday 7 February 2013

Movie Reviews, and Me

After a long time, I am keeping my hands on my laptop.  The saga of laptop booting problems and Trojan virus had made me mute in the e-space.   I din't bother much about checking my email, or Facebook updates or that 100 + unread posts sitting on my reader.   So, to sum up, last few days has been rewarding and I felt like I had more time than usual.   I saw some new releases, read few books, and had some "me" time.
 

Recently I have seen controversies coming up with every film that gets released.  XYZ party putting allegations on a movie and referring objectionable scenes/dialogues or because it has portrayed a community in a negative manner.  Where has all these come from? Have we become so intolerant?  A movie should be seen as a movie, an entertainment factor.  If everyone starts taking things personal and gets offended, we have to stop seeing films. My message to the common men who are creating such controversies - If you are getting offended with a movie, just don't see it! Simple as that! 

Well, I saw 2 movies which created a lot of controversies, but here's what I saw in the movie, and what I felt about. These are purely my opinion.  

The hustle and bustle of much talked Vishwaroopam movie is slowly settling down, but I managed to see the movie first day first show here on 25th Jan.  While my hands were eager to type in a blog post about the movie immediately, I just wanted to remain silent and let everyone enjoy the movie as much as I did without any bias.  

I loved every bits of movie. Kamal Hassan has proved he is truly an universal hero.  Be it the elegant Kathak movements, or the way he transforms from his effeminate look to a fierceful combat person, he has done an amazing job.  The combat and other action sequences were superbly handled and easily pumps out the adrenaline out of us. An electrifying action/thriller movie, which you can easily see more than once.  But why this movie got into the ban or aggreviated communal feelings is beyond my understanding.  I couldn't see anything that might hurt Islamic sentiments. The bad boys as shown in the film are Al-Qaeda terrorists and not a common man! People please grow up. It's a movie, and a really good one! 

I also saw Mani Rathnam's Kadal (Sea) movie. I liked the movie - not a lot, but liked it as a fan of Manirathnam. It was not the best of Mani's, especially when he sets high expectations on his movies. Predictable and weak storyline is the major drawback of the film which is supported overshadowed by some amazing performances, cinematography and music. 

I wouldn't be wrong, if I say, the movie was owned by Aravind Swamy- A perfect comeback for him! Newcomer Gautham Karthik proves that he has dutifully carried the 'acting gene' from his grandfather and father. Showing the sea color in different moods, backdrops of every scene, nativity of fishing village were skillfully captured. And capturing cyclone Neelam isn't an easier job that Rajiv Menon handled too well. I can't miss out ARRji in this.  I still wonder how he carefully chooses the rhythm and tune for ManiRathnam and make them so special and exclusive.  The song Nenjukulle, which is my favorite song in the movie, and which I carried a lot of expectation, got lost behind the conversations and was not given much attention in the movie.  Magudi song was used well throughout the movie.  Overall, in my opinion, the movie can be a one time watch.   

So what have you all been doing? 

17 comments:

  1. I must watch 'Vishwaroopam' now but not in Chennai as far as possible. I don't know the quality of the movie with all the cuts. Yes, they need not go to the theatre if they don't like it, without obstructing others and damaging theatres. All of them can declare that they are not going to watch...they don't treat this as just an entertainment media. Your review is good, Anu, without giving out much of the storyline!

    Yes, Kadal is Arivindswamy and AR Rahman's movie, totally and Rajiv Menon's too! As you said the 'nejukkulle' song is drowned by the scenes...I remember I was trying to concentrate on the song! This too, is a good review, Anu!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, now after that hungama, I am not sure how many scenes they would've changed. I am glad I was able to see the uncut version of the movie. But definitely see it. I din't want to give the story line, because that will be a spoiler and people sometimes just take a judgement after reading it.

      Delete
  2. I am keen to see Vishwaroopam. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe because of over-expectations or something, some of my movie-critic friends gave a negative review for Kadal. I guess it routinely happens to Mani Ratnam's films. The standard he has set for himself is so high. Brining back Arvind Swamy is a great idea - That guy is an actor by birth. He can also act as a hero, especially when 60 year olds are still acting as heros in Tamil movies.

    Destination Infinity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like Aravind Swamy, you can watch Kadal. It's full of him, and his acting, and he did it just superb.

      Delete
  4. I don't know why the government was compelled by all these fringe groups which doesn't even represent their whole community. If people of the same community could watch and enjoy the same movie in Hyderabad, Bangalore, why should it particularly affect people of Tamil Nad. In the court also I don't know why so much gallata was done, postponing it, the judge should have dismissed the case and ordered it to be released without any additional cuts. Jayalalita should not have involved herself in this, as she is supposed to be quite daring, and capable of ignoring the demands of the so called fringe elements who were against the release of the film.
    It was indeed a movie worth seeing again and again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really felt so bad for Kamal Hassan, who eventually became a prey for politics. He has spent so much money, and he and his work cannot be ridiculed like that.

      Delete
  5. While I have read so many good reviews for Vishwaroopam, have read the opposite too. Saw this on twitter some time back, "What a f-all movie. Forget offending Muslims, it offends the intelligence of all it's viewers" and another blogger friend also shares the same review! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh..opinions differ, yeah. Agreed. But the effort he has taken to make the movie look like an Hollywood movie definitely deserves applause and recognition, particularly after the personal turmoil he went through. An Indian spy, training Al-Qaeda and saving NewYork from its destruction is the story line which at the bottomline we cannot imagine or accept. But it's a movie, and anything can happen sans logic!

      Delete
  6. Yet to see viswaroopam and kadal. Earnest reviews. Let me check them out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh do watch them C9, I am sure you will like them.

      Delete
  7. Nice reviews Anu though am yet to see either of these movies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice review. I' yet to watch Vishwaroopam. The protest was complete rubbish and totally uncalled for..
    Cheer
    Vishal
    www.vishalbheeroo.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete